Re: wordpress, again

On 11/28/2013 2:31 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

And, for what it's worth, when it comes to all but the most core servers (say mysql, apache, postfix), I've found that it always pays to build servers from upstream source (particularly mail related stuff - getting antispam, antivirus, SMTP, IMAP, and authentication all wired together is a mess; same again for list managers).  At least that's been my experience when it comes to running a server farm - your mileage may vary.

Miles Fidelman

Thanks, Miles.

I'll keep your advice in mind as I go forward with this project.

Your suggestion raises the question, though, of what do I do when I want to upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie in a year or so?  Will I get a toxic mix of Debian-wordpress and wordpress-upstream?

In other words, am I stuck on Wheezy until I'm willing to do a complete re-install of wordpress from scratch?

Thanks!
Rick

I'm just the opposite. I need stable servers, which is why I use Debian. If I wanted the "latest and greatest", I would go to Ubuntu or some other distro. But I know the "stable" version of Debian is exactly that. It's done well for me for years, and is a lot more stable than the Unix I was running some 20 years ago.

Jerry