Re: wordpress, again

Scott Ferguson wrote:
The OP (in this thread) is asking about the Debian WordPress package. It installs WordPress, WordPress keeps itself up-to-date - i.e. it's version has nothing to do with the version number of the debian installer. On 28/11/13 09:48, Scott Ferguson wrote:

Which is really the point here.

1. Maybe an apt-get install wordpress-<xxx> will get you a close to current version, complete with all dependencies (hasn't been my experience - but then again I haven't tried going that route in a LONG time - sounds like things have gotten better).

But, and a BIG but - and probably important to the OP:

2. apt-get update; apt-get upgrade is not going to be enough to keep your wordpress installation up-to-date - for that, you pretty much have to use WordPress' built in update mechanism - accessed through it's control panel - which takes into account how you've customized your installation (modules, themes). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if apt-get update/upgrade generated some conflicts with WordPress' own update mechanisms - mix and match with extreme caution.

And, for what it's worth, when it comes to all but the most core servers (say mysql, apache, postfix), I've found that it always pays to build servers from upstream source (particularly mail related stuff - getting antispam, antivirus, SMTP, IMAP, and authentication all wired together is a mess; same again for list managers). At least that's been my experience when it comes to running a server farm - your mileage may vary.

Miles Fidelman