Re: Terminal with support for Indic characters

Wikipedia has quite a bit of information about installing and using Indic fonts on various OSs: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Multilingual_support_%28Indic%29>.

On 11/28/2013 03:30 AM Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
I hope that this utf-8 message will give no trouble to anyone.

അഖിൽ കൃഷ്ണൻ എസ്. writes:
  > Since gnome-terminal & its emulators like guake uses vtk which do not
  > provide complex utf-8 rendering, Indic Language support is poor in them.

Poor indeed, but not non-existent. I do not dare posting an e-mail
with attached images there, but Emacs running VM within sakura
displays poorly (mangled and dotted) the "ഖി" gliph (Emacs running
within X does it fine - to someone that does not know the alphabet the
gliphs look fine).

rxvt-unicode was disappointing.

Mutt running within an Emacs X frame and ansi-term gave mixed results:
When entering "അഖിൽ കൃഷ്ണൻ എസ്" within the e-mail address I got some
numeric escapes (\uXXXX) but that was in an Emacs mini-buffer.

When I entered the same string in the e-mail body -this time into the
ansi-term buffer- the string was displayed correctly.

A solution could be to use mutt within Emacs using ansi-term :)