Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On 11/27/13, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 03:22 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> [snip]
>>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> That statement is a very contentious one, and one with which I
>>> disagree.  I have not infrequently been using Synaptic on a computer
>>> I administer, torn my hair out and switched to Aptitude to solve a
>>> problem.

>>> Beyond your belief?  So you do not believe that there are many of us
>>> who _like_ the command line?  You may not like it, but many do.
>>
>> Doug, are you thinking "apt-get install packagename"
>> or "dpkg install filename"?
>>
>> The latter is rarely used (even by 'power' users) these days, and the
>> former is not what you wrote - perhaps this clarifies something useful
>> for someone.
>
> Maybe I have it wrong--I refer to having to install knowing a priori the
> name of the package you want to install.

I use "apt-cache search some-term" (aliased to "aks some-term"). Since
I usually have one or more shells open, I find it quicker to flick the
mouse over the term, and type those characters, then apt-get install
packagenam<TAB>. Yes, it requires knowledge of these commands (or
"aptitude" command); I personally find this process uniquely
satisfying.

> And I have _never_ had a
> problem with Synaptic. Using it for at least 4 years now.
> I'm not afraid of the command line, I use it frequently.

Good. And good too. Great to have a system that provides things we
find useful to use frequently, and never have problems with. Really
good to hear :)

Regards
Zenaan