Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On 11/27/13, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 24 November 2013 19:20:47 Doug wrote:
>> On 11/24/2013 12:34 PM, AP wrote:
> [snip]
>> > (i) Which Distribution:
> [snip]
>> > (ii) DEB vs RPM
>>
> [snip]
>> The other differentiator is the package manager. I have a very
>> strong opinion here: the package manager MUST display the available
>> programs that you can choose from.
>
> That statement is a very contentious one, and one with which I
> disagree.  I have not infrequently been using Synaptic on a computer
> I administer, torn my hair out and switched to Aptitude to solve a
> problem.
>
>> If it doesn't, you will have to
>> have a list from somewhere. The idea of using "apt-get-install
>> filename" is just beyond my belief.
>
> Beyond your belief?  So you do not believe that there are many of us
> who _like_ the command line?  You may not like it, but many do.

Doug, are you thinking "apt-get install packagename"
or "dpkg install filename"?

The latter is rarely used (even by 'power' users) these days, and the
former is not what you wrote - perhaps this clarifies something useful
for someone.

Enjoy
Zenaan