A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

Hello,

I have finally decided to come and use Linux, even when I know that it
is a bit more typical than Windows, which is being used mostly. I know
I can Google the things but the purpose of asking here is to know from
the experienced user who really can tell the reality or "behind the
scenes" story. I have the following queries, which I am explaining but
also request to let me know where I am wrong in my thoughts.

(i) Which Distribution:

I guess Linux is kernel only. So all should be the same. So as per the
experts needs, can I know which is better? Given my context: A
computer with 250 GB hard-disk and 2 GB RAM and it is of "not so new,
not so old" type. Further, I want to use Linux in my daily works which
are simple like office works (documentation) and web surfing because I
am in the job which is no more related with computers......So this is
just my hobby part.

(ii) DEB vs RPM

Well, just heard these are package managers but an end user is no more
concerned with both of them. But still, from the information point of
view, I am curious to know about each one and especially how is one
good at some point and and the other is good as some other task...or
may be both are that efficient...

Further, I guess Debian is one of the oldest Linux distribution.

Thanks.