Re: Why Debian

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Slavko <linux@slavino.sk> wrote:
> Dňa Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:47:53 +0000 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> napísal:
>>
>> AFAIK, if a package has "ubuntu" in its version name, it's been
>> changed by the Ubuntu developers.
>
> Are you sure, that this is mark of changes? Are you checked the
> changelog? It is not necessary mark of changes in package, it is only
> marks, that package was rebuilded, e.g. due the dependencies...
>
>> I've just checked on my 14.04 laptop and the percentage is about 14%.
>
> My numbers are 3 years old, it was taken by the Raphael Herctzog, AFAIK
> he is both, the Debian and Ubuntu, developer, then he must know
> something about these things ;-)
>
> You can read more here
> http://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/11/22/how-ubuntu-builds-up-on-debian/.
>
> Sure, today can be numbers little different.

You've misread that post.

7% is the percentage of packages in Ubuntu that are packaged in Ubuntu
and not in Debian.

17% is the percentage of packages in Ubuntu that are packaged in both
Debian and Ubuntu and are modified by Ubuntu developers.

In a reply to a comment, Raphael says "The 17% is easy to find out,
take common packages between Debian and Ubuntu and count those which
have a version ending in ubuntuX".

I searched for package versions that included "ubuntu" without
excluding packages that are in Ubuntu and aren't in Debian.