Re: testing wants to install systemd

Le 20.11.2013 10:34, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Wed, 2013-11-20 at 09:08 +0100, Slavko wrote:
Please, how useful are Arch's things for me as Debian user?

My apologies Slavko, I'll rephrase it, the state of Debian's testing
initscripts/systemd seems to be neither fish nor fowl. When I
experienced this on Arch Linux during the transition from initscripts to
systemd, I didn't use it for perhaps 1 year and then, when the
transition was finished, there wasn't the choice to use initscripts or
systemd anymore, I installed a new Arch Linux.

Switching from initscripts to systemd was the only transition ever, that
caused issues for me and I'm still not friend with systemd.

I remember having tried to install Arch. The installation by itself was fine, but when I tried to install Xorg, there was a dependency breakage. This experiences taught me that Arch linux is not for me, I want things that just works like Debian.

Debian is not Arch, I have much more confidence in Debian to make a technology switch smooth, than to Arch maintainers. Probably because Debian does not try to just follow upstream, but actually works on things it integrates. Probably also because there is a long process for new things to go into testing, and even longer to send them into stable.

Arch is fine, if you like their philosophy. But it can not be compared to Debian, at all. Those distributions have very different goals. As Arch users so often says, arch is a true rolling release distro. They are true, and it implies lot of problems you won't have on versioned distros, and, indeed, it also implies lot of advantages too.

Fortunately only one user on this list fears to run an upgrade of Debian
testing, since it seems not to be usual that the upgrade does pull in
systemd, but the assumption that it's a dependency is plausible and
those dependencies from upstrem will cause a lot of work, when Debian
continues to separate udev from systemd and enables to use initscripts
or systemd.

instead of human
readable scripts, one big binary blob,

Systemd configuration files are much more readable than init scripts. I strongly doubt that maintainers just do the switch just because it's faster to boot... since being faster to boot heavily depends on how many services you run on your computer.

associated with the name Lennart
P.. Seriously,

So, everything this guy contributes to, is crappy? This argument just works against you.
Personal attacks is something which is very often included in trolls.

For a counter example, I personally like freedesktop XDG Base Directory Specification, and one of the 3 names with it is L.Poettering.

systemd is crap,

So, you must know at least one alternative: using Debian KFreeBSD, or just using any BSD distro. If you really hate systemd so much, use a system on which it can not be implemented.

Arch also have such alternative, it seems that there is an ArchBSD. I wonder how and if it works.