Re: gdm3 blackout and system lockout

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 07:30:26AM -0500, chris dunn wrote:
> On the 18th I upgraded gdm3 as a normal upgrade on my motion M1400
> tablet running debian testing with an i486 kernel.
>
> Noting on another box that the new gdm3 login screen provided an
> onscreen keyboard (much wanted on the tablet) I decided to test the new
> gdm3 login on the tablet.
>
> Now booting the tablet with either of the available kernels in either
> graphics or recovery mode results in a completely black screen with no
> cursor. I'm convinced that the new gdm3 is the reason. I see on the gdm
> bug reports that others are having similar problems but none seem to be
> as drastic as mine.
>
> I have no login screen, no cursor, and cannot drop into a terminal
> screen. I'm therefore completely locked out of the tablet.
>
> Help would be exceedingly welcome on a route to recovering an
> operational system. Thanks in advance for any pointers to a solution.

You mention the possibility of switching to a terminal, so I'll assume
you have the facility to type even without an on-screen keyboard.

If that's the case, try adding "text" to the end of the kernel command
line (in grub, press 'e' to edit an entry temporarily). GDM3 will see
that and not start. Hopefully you can then log in at the console.