Re: testing wants to install systemd

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> However, http://packages.debian.org/jessie/systemd , systemd by the
> Debian package depends on udev, so they aren't merged and it also
> depends on initscripts, IOW systemd isn't systemd. Why does systemd need
> initscripts? Must be regarding to a transition.
>
> Assumed the transition would work automatically and flawlessly, then you
> still need to be able to handle it. For example, the big advantage of
> systemd is, that you can boot your system within seconds, one
> disadvantage is, that reading kernel logs has become a PITA. If you
> thought that it's always no fun to read those logs you're right but with
> systemd it's much more unpleasant. I don't know what voodoo Debian does
> use, but if you switch you likely will have to do much work manually.
> OTOH, initscripts is a dependency of systemd for Debian.
>
> Impressions from Arch

Your transition from sysvinit to systemd on Arch wasn't smooth in the
same way that Lizi's upgrade to Debian 7 failed recently. Nothing
works perfectly all the time. But that doesn't mean that all
transitions to systemd or all Debian upgrades from vX to vX+1 are
going to be rocky.

For most users, a transition to systemd (or upstart) is going to be
straighforward and painless.