Re: Toshiba Satellite C50d/A00L laptop, can't install Debian - any version......

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:18:07 +0100 Carlo sent:

> Have you use NETINSTALL AMD64 DEBIAN STABLE? When you write a cd-r use
> 4x as speed. After this check in your BIOS that it is NOT Activated
> UEFI.
>
> Check again this configuration.
>
> Tell us for your progress.
>
> Carlo.

Hello Carlo,

Yes, tried netinstall AMD64 Jessie and Wheezy.

Disabled fast boot and UEFI formatted my hard drive with Gparted and
got it ready for the install, all partitions the sizes I wanted.

Tried the netinstall of all the flavours AMD64, i386 etc., and each
version, wheezy and jessie and they all choked at the network
configuration. No matter if I bypassed the network hardware find. Set
the clock also fails of course.

I have put every driver I can find, trolling the net, for the realtek
Ethernet card or any hardware on a USB stick and none work. The wireless
card doesn't even show up.

I have also inserted two wireless dongles that I have used in the past
one atheros for which there is a driver on the USB stick, and the other
I can't recall but should be on the USB stick with all the extra
drivers.

They don't even get detected, though now I come to think of it I'm not
certain I tried that with the wheezy DVD install. Tomorrow I'll give
that a larrup

I haven't downloaded all the Wheezy DVD's but tried with DVD 1 [as
above] which I did download. Same problem.

I will have to download the latest Ubuntu I think and install that. I'm
hoping it has drivers in that distro. Don't like it but needs must. I
have to go to another place where the internet connection is much
faster than this satellite joke broadband.

I can't go back to windows though, I returned the hard drive back to
what it was and tried the Toshiba recovery disks. No go. They don't do
anything but lock up the machine.

So in for a penny, in for a pound, it has to be a Linux system. I have
been offered windows 7, but I like that less than Ubuntu.

I emailed Realtek to see if they have a Linux driver for that network
hardware, either Ethernet or wireless, but what do you think my chances
are of them having one, or even interested in sending me one? Buckleys
and none I would imagine. But you don't ask you don't get.

So that's where I'm at just now.

Be well,
Charlie

    --
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Some things have to be believed to be seen. --- Ralph Hodgeson