Re: Finding pertinent inforation on WEB

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 20/11/13 04:45, Richard Owlett wrote:
Linux-Fan wrote:
On 11/19/2013 03:20 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
If needing to read a "man page",
http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi exists.
Is there an equivalent site to retrieve what would be displayed by the
info command.
{ A Linux machine is not always available ;}

TIA

Most programs which have additional information in info pages (or no man
pages at all) are GNU software, so it might be a good idea to start with

http://www.gnu.org/manual/

One of the few programs I know which are not properly documented with
man but info is GRUB. The page above leads you directly to the GRUB
documentation which looks similar to the info page to me.

Also, you can google "GNU Info Pages online" without quotes. I just
found http://linux.about.com/od/lts_guide/a/gdelts69t02.htm by entering
that query which also suggests the first page I have mentioned.

HTH
Linux-Fan

You are right on so many counts ;)

I was looking, this time, for information on GRUB. I had done a half
dozen Google searches, but with poor choice of keywords.

Thank you.

Your Debian system has a lot of *info*rmation on GRUB, but not in the
man file :)

For the primary documentation on GRUB2 try:-
$ info grub

Additionally you can install "doc-central" and "dwww", both of which
index your system documentation (including your man pages) and a local
web search interface.

Want more?  Try "dhelp" which works similar to doc-central and dwww
(HTML docs only). There's also "mansearch" which creates a central index
of man pages and provides a local web search interface.

Interesting. Will solve a DIFFERENT problem.
I had asked for web based solution as Debian machine not always physically accessible ;/