Re: Finding pertinent inforation on WEB

On 20/11/13 04:45, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Linux-Fan wrote:
>> On 11/19/2013 03:20 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> If needing to read a "man page",
>>> http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi exists.
>>> Is there an equivalent site to retrieve what would be displayed by the
>>> info command.
>>> { A Linux machine is not always available ;}
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> Most programs which have additional information in info pages (or no man
>> pages at all) are GNU software, so it might be a good idea to start with
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/manual/
>>
>> One of the few programs I know which are not properly documented with
>> man but info is GRUB. The page above leads you directly to the GRUB
>> documentation which looks similar to the info page to me.
>>
>> Also, you can google "GNU Info Pages online" without quotes. I just
>> found http://linux.about.com/od/lts_guide/a/gdelts69t02.htm by entering
>> that query which also suggests the first page I have mentioned.
>>
>> HTH
>> Linux-Fan
>>

> You are right on so many counts ;)
>
> I was looking, this time, for information on GRUB. I had done a half
> dozen Google searches, but with poor choice of keywords.
>
> Thank you.

Your Debian system has a lot of *info*rmation on GRUB, but not in the
man file :)

For the primary documentation on GRUB2 try:-
$ info grub

Additionally you can install "doc-central" and "dwww", both of which
index your system documentation (including your man pages) and a local
web search interface.

Want more?  Try "dhelp" which works similar to doc-central and dwww
(HTML docs only). There's also "mansearch" which creates a central index
of man pages and provides a local web search interface.

Kind regards