Re: Wheezy: Changing date format in LibreOffice Calc

On 20/11/13 21:35, Ldten K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to change a date format in LibreOffice Calc (LOC). I thought it would be a simple thing to do but for some reason it doesn't work for me. What I did:
>
> 1. Open LOC, start a new spreadsheet
> 2. Enter 6 new rows in column A as follows:
>    20.11.2013
>    21.11.2013
>    22.11.2013
>    23.11.2013
>    24.11.2013
>    25.11.2013
> 3. Clear any existing formatting to be sure: select column A, Menu > Format > Clear Direct Formatting

Huh?
3. Select cells and format as "text" (you have numbers punctuated with
dots as text)

> 4. Apply MM/DD/YYYY formatting: select column A, Menu > Format > Cells > Date > MM/DD/YYYY > OK

So you have data entered as DD/MM/YYYY and you expect *format* to
convert it to MM/DD/YYYY ?

Surely not? ;)

> The above steps result in no change for me, the dates are still shown as DD.MM.YYYY, no warning or error message is given.

Because format won't convert your date formats, it just sets the format
used on any data you enter.....

So format a range as format type "User defined" where the format is
MM/DD/YYYY

Then enter data into the cell e.g.:-
"110113"  and it will display as "11/01/2013"  which is the MM/DD/YYYY
format

Did you want to use "." as the separator instead of "/"?   If the
seperator is included in the format it will be entered for you provided
you enter the mininum number of characters for the format - or you can
create an input mask.

> Any ideas? Thanks

Kind regards