gdm3 blackout and system lockout

On the 18th I upgraded gdm3 as a normal upgrade on my motion M1400
tablet running debian testing with an i486 kernel.

Noting on another box that the new gdm3 login screen provided an
onscreen keyboard (much wanted on the tablet) I decided to test the new
gdm3 login on the tablet.

Now booting the tablet with either of the available kernels in either
graphics or recovery mode results in a completely black screen with no
cursor. I'm convinced that the new gdm3 is the reason. I see on the gdm
bug reports that others are having similar problems but none seem to be
as drastic as mine.

I have no login screen, no cursor, and cannot drop into a terminal
screen. I'm therefore completely locked out of the tablet.

Help would be exceedingly welcome on a route to recovering an
operational system. Thanks in advance for any pointers to a solution.

--

Chris Dunn