Re: Installation of Wheezy on a Fujitsu Primergy Raid1

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:03:32PM +0100, Joerg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Fujitsu primergy TX100 S1 and installed a bios-raid1 (LSI
> raid from Fujitsu - 2 disks prepartitioned into 1 primary and 5
> extension disks each - done by <ctrl>-M).

Is this an LSI RAID card, or a fakeraid? If it's a fakeraid, I
advise you to backup the data and destroy the fakeraid, then
re-install from scratch with a clean mdadm software RAID.

> This machine used to have Lenny but an important component was
> destroyed so I decided to proceed to Wheezy skipping squeeze (which
> I do not have as netinst disk!!!)

That's a bad idea. You should get a squeeze disk and use it in
rescue mode.

> When I tried to install wheezy via netinst from CD I could not get
> out of the partition menue for installation of basic components ...
>
> The parted-menue shows:
> 1. Raid (the whole disk - no partitions so far)
> 2. the 1st scsi-device with all partition on that device (contains
> important data which must not be destroyed)
> 3. the 2nd scsi-device with all partition on that device (contains
> important data which must not be destroyed)
>
> 1st and 2nd scsci devices are partitioned the same way from the
> previous Lenny installation.
>
> My question: How can I proceed with the LSI raid 1 to get a
> functioning system again?

Where do you want to install wheezy? You don't seem to have a
blank place to put it, which is a requirement. (It will happily
destroy a partition for you, though.)

At this point, I think you might want to boot from a live CD or USB stick
and make a complete backup to an external device, remove the external
device, wipe everything out and begin from scratch.  Then restore data
that you want from backup.

-dsr-