Re: Installation of Wheezy on a Fujitsu Primergy Raid1

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:55:36AM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > This machine used to have Lenny but an important component was
> > destroyed so I decided to proceed to Wheezy skipping squeeze (which
> > I do not have as netinst disk!!!)
>
> That's a bad idea. You should get a squeeze disk and use it in
> rescue mode.

Why? I'm not sure I follow. If the machine had lenny, and the OP wants
a fresh install of wheezy, what would a squeeze rescue disk accomplish
here. If something happened with the original lenny install, then a
lenny netinst disk in rescue mode would be more appropriate. Whether
the original lenny install could be rescued is another question. To
answer it, we would need more details.

> > When I tried to install wheezy via netinst from CD I could not get
> > out of the partition menue for installation of basic components ...

Why not? Was there an error message? If so, what did it say, at least approximately?

> > The parted-menue shows:
> > 1. Raid (the whole disk - no partitions so far)
> > 2. the 1st scsi-device with all partition on that device (contains
> > important data which must not be destroyed)
> > 3. the 2nd scsi-device with all partition on that device (contains
> > important data which must not be destroyed)
> >
> > 1st and 2nd scsci devices are partitioned the same way from the
> > previous Lenny installation.
> >
> > My question: How can I proceed with the LSI raid 1 to get a
> > functioning system again?

It sounds like you want to install to 1, which is a hardware raid, but
leave 2 and 3 alone. If that's the case, the partitioner has an option
to leave those devices alone. If I remember right, you want to select
devices 2 and 3, in the partitioner, and select the mount point as
none, or something of that sort. I have installed debian before in
text mode where I wanted a drive to be untouched, and it wasn't. So I
know this is doable. If you need more specifics, and someone else
can't provide those, I can get to that stage of the install in a
virtual machine, and be more specific. I would be doing the install in
text mode, so if you're doing it in graphical mode you would have to
be able to translate whatever specifics I provide into however the
graphical version of the partitioner does things.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc