Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I am struggling to configure exim4 on my home desktop to send system
> notifications to my public email address [...]

> [I replaced smtp's port with NNN. Also, assume 'machine' is output of
> command 'hostname', while 'machine.homenetwork' is output of 'hostname
> -f']

> IP address or host name of the outgoing smarthost
> => "mail.messagingengine.com::NNN".

Should be a single colon, not double. For example, mail.example.net:587

If you're using 486 (SMTP/SSL) you may need to tweak the TLS entries in
the configuration file.

Your login account for smtp.mail.provider is "myemail@fastmail.fm", yes?

> 5. Test message:
> # /usr/sbin/exim4 -i root
> This is a test message.
> ^D

Throw a -v (Verbose) in there, too.

echo test message | exim4 -v root

> Relevant part from /var/log/exim4:
> 2013-11-10 11:00:50 1VfQsq-0003B3-7m <= myemail@fastmail.fm U=itayf P=local S=327
> 2013-11-10 11:00:50 1VfQsq-0003B3-7m == root@fastmail.fm R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host

You've stripped out some relevant preceding messages. Something already
in there has stopped the queue run for your target host. Use this instead:

exim4 -qf -v

Chris