Re: Installing same packages in a Squeeze installation in a new Wheezy installation

On 11/7/2013 2:04 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Bob Proulx wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Chris Bannister wrote:
Instead it would make more sense to install a fresh Wheezy system and
then install the top level packages you require.

I would normally do this.  I would set up a new machine.  Then
manually put in the work to move each task over from the old to the
new.  Been there many times.  It is work and effort.  But less work
in total than trying to avoid the work.

And how do you know what "each task" is when you don't have
documentation in the complete system?  And if you don't know what is
required by the tasks?

For example if the machine is a web server then I would replicate the
web setup on the other machine.  If dhcpd then again the same.

This is not just a web server or a dhcp server. It serves multiple functions, most undocumented. And no one at the customer (they are not technical) know what all the server does. They just want a working system.

This is a live server, with all kinds of modifications to the
configuration files (unfortunately, many were before my time and are
not documented).  Due to the mods, upgrading to Squeeze was a mess

Sigh.  I am once again dealing with a very similar situation.  And I
can't really do what I want to do which is to move to a clean system
and move tasks over to it.  I pretty much need to clean it up in
place.  Which is a difficult situation.  Double sigh.  I just need to
carefully walk through the minefields there.

I can't "clean it up in place" and risk downtime on a live system.

Then life is very bad for you. :-(

No worse than any business running production servers. I don't know what it's like where you are, but it's pretty normal here in the U.S. for small/medium businesses without their own IT departments.

But I still would not myself use the strategy of doing the
get-selections and set-selections because in my opinion I don't like
the direction of that strategy.  I would identify the top level
packages and install those.  It is easy to install missing packages.
The problem is that they are initially missing and so you find them by
seeing what is broken.  That is bad.  But I know of no better way.

How can you do that when you don't know all of the tasks and what
they require?

By doing exactly what I just said.  I will say it again.

The problem is that they are initially missing and so you find them by
seeing what is broken.  That is bad.  But I know of no better way.

That is not a response. You can't find out what is broken if you don't know everything that's going on.

And I know your response will be that you can't do that.  The answer
is that then you are in a world of serious hurt.  Serious, serious hurt.

Once again, it's a pretty normal situation here. The solution is to duplicate the system as closely as possible.

On the same version?  Or jumping to a newer version?

This whole discussion has been about upgrading to Wheezy.

Some of the discussion has been about cloning servers on the same version.

Bob

There have been some side comments about cloning on the same version. But if you had read the entire thread, the main thrust (and all of my comments) have been related to upgrading.

It's pretty obvious you're not familiar with production servers for small/medium business. Not a criticism, but an observation. Maintaining one of these is not at all like maintaining your desktop or personal server. Requirements are much different.

Jerry