Re: Installing same packages in a Squeeze installation in a new Wheezy installation

On 11/6/2013 4:49 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Chris Bannister wrote:
Instead it would make more sense to install a fresh Wheezy system and
then install the top level packages you require.

I would normally do this.  I would set up a new machine.  Then
manually put in the work to move each task over from the old to the
new.  Been there many times.  It is work and effort.  But less work
in total than trying to avoid the work.

And how do you know what "each task" is when you don't have documentation in the complete system? And if you don't know what is required by the tasks?

This is a live server, with all kinds of modifications to the
configuration files (unfortunately, many were before my time and are
not documented).  Due to the mods, upgrading to Squeeze was a mess

Sigh.  I am once again dealing with a very similar situation.  And I
can't really do what I want to do which is to move to a clean system
and move tasks over to it.  I pretty much need to clean it up in
place.  Which is a difficult situation.  Double sigh.  I just need to
carefully walk through the minefields there.

I can't "clean it up in place" and risk downtime on a live system.

But I still would not myself use the strategy of doing the
get-selections and set-selections because in my opinion I don't like
the direction of that strategy.  I would identify the top level
packages and install those.  It is easy to install missing packages.
The problem is that they are initially missing and so you find them by
seeing what is broken.  That is bad.  But I know of no better way.

How can you do that when you don't know all of the tasks and what they require?

So what I'm going to do is build a new server, install the same
software that's on the current one, then reply the modifications to
the configuration files.  Once it is thoroughly tested, I will
replace the old one with the new one.

It is a plan.  It should work.  Who am I to judge?

On the same version?  Or jumping to a newer version?

This whole discussion has been about upgrading to Wheezy.

And no, I do NOT consider this "jumping through hoops".  I consider
it a much more reliable way to upgrade a live system than just
blindly upgrading to Wheezy.

I hate having a system that has a lot of hand crafted customization
that is completely unknown.  I don't mind if it is known and
documented.  But I hate it when it isn't known.

Bob

Me, too. But unfortunately, I didn't set up the system, nor did I administer it for some years.

Jerry