Re: Installing same packages in a Squeeze installation in a new Wheezy installation

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >
> >I would normally do this.  I would set up a new machine.  Then
> >manually put in the work to move each task over from the old to the
> >new.  Been there many times.  It is work and effort.  But less work
> >in total than trying to avoid the work.
>
> And how do you know what "each task" is when you don't have
> documentation in the complete system?  And if you don't know what is
> required by the tasks?

For example if the machine is a web server then I would replicate the
web setup on the other machine.  If dhcpd then again the same.

> >>This is a live server, with all kinds of modifications to the
> >>configuration files (unfortunately, many were before my time and are
> >>not documented).  Due to the mods, upgrading to Squeeze was a mess
> >
> >Sigh.  I am once again dealing with a very similar situation.  And I
> >can't really do what I want to do which is to move to a clean system
> >and move tasks over to it.  I pretty much need to clean it up in
> >place.  Which is a difficult situation.  Double sigh.  I just need to
> >carefully walk through the minefields there.
>
> I can't "clean it up in place" and risk downtime on a live system.

Then life is very bad for you. :-(

> >But I still would not myself use the strategy of doing the
> >get-selections and set-selections because in my opinion I don't like
> >the direction of that strategy.  I would identify the top level
> >packages and install those.  It is easy to install missing packages.
> >The problem is that they are initially missing and so you find them by
> >seeing what is broken.  That is bad.  But I know of no better way.
>
> How can you do that when you don't know all of the tasks and what
> they require?

By doing exactly what I just said.  I will say it again.

The problem is that they are initially missing and so you find them by
seeing what is broken.  That is bad.  But I know of no better way.

And I know your response will be that you can't do that.  The answer
is that then you are in a world of serious hurt.  Serious, serious hurt.

> >On the same version?  Or jumping to a newer version?
>
> This whole discussion has been about upgrading to Wheezy.

Some of the discussion has been about cloning servers on the same version.

Bob