"reset" perms and ownerships

Hi,

( this is most likely a RTFM question, please just point me to the right FM)

One inexperienced colleague just something along the likes of...

(it's actually a little more elaborate than that, but you get the picture)

... and then came back to me for help.

I'm a sysadmin on the RH/CentOS camp, and my confort level with apt-* and dpkg* is extremely low.

Is there anything like "rpm -V" on the debian toolset? I'm trying to avoid "punishing him" (further) with reinstall...

Thanks in advance,
Mário Barbosa