Re: "reset" perms and ownerships

Le 23.10.2013 14:13, Mário Barbosa a écrit :
Hi,

( this is most likely a RTFM question, please just point me to the right FM)

One inexperienced colleague just something along the likes of...

(it's actually a little more elaborate than that, but you get the picture)

... and then came back to me for help.

Hopefully he'll remember that using super user powers have to be made with care :)

I'm a sysadmin on the RH/CentOS camp, and my confort level with apt-*
and dpkg* is extremely low.

Is there anything like "rpm -V" on the debian toolset? I'm trying to
avoid "punishing him" (further) with reinstall...

It does not do any control (which is the role of rpm -V if I understood correctly the man), but apt-get --reinstall might help. But if he did the changes on /etc, it won't work, because configuration files won't be modified ( it removes and installs, not purge and installs ).

I think you might have solutions, but what has been changed, exactly? Software binaries in /usr? Configuration files in /etc? Other stuff in /var?

Maybe simply changing back the perms and ownerships might be simpler, too.