Re: Once again about anacron cron cron.daily

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I'm still not getting the whole picture of what is supposed to happen
>> on a machine with both anacron and cron installed.
>
> And you might be tired of having me respond about it.  :-)

Not on your life!  I have a certain fondness for descriptive and very
helpful posts here.

>> I have lines like the one below in /etc/crontab
>>
>> [...] test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report
>>                                                /etc/cron.daily )
>>
>> Ok, it tests for the presence of /usr/sbin/anacron, checks that it is
>> executable and sees to it that this user has permission to run it.
>
> Yes.  The "this user" part is part that you trimmed off.  It runs as
> the root user.  The root user will always have permission.  Let me
> show the part you trimmed off.  (Times might be different.)

I was trying to say... I 'got' all that.  But I think your formulation
is a bit off.  test -x doesn't care who is running what... it checks
to see that the soul calling test -x has permission to run the app it
is called against... at least, that was my reading of `man test'.

But yes, in our subject case it is expected to be root..

>From `man test'

   -x FILE
     FILE exists and execute (or search) permission is granted

[...]

>> But where and when does anacron actually get called to run?
>> That line appears to expect anacron to be called somewhere else.
>
> Yes.  The anacron itself is actually called from ... cron! :-)
>
>   $ dpkg -L anacron
>   /etc/cron.d/anacron

Bingo, thank you sir... now it starts to make sense... and thanks too
for pointing out what I  should have thought of as a way to get a clue
using `dpkg -L'.

And just a small supplement to help you understand why I didn't quite
follow the setup... On the first sign of trouble with logs not getting
processed, I checked what state anacron was in with
`/etc/init.d/anacron status', which gave a blank <no reply> which made
me assume, (apparently wrongly) that anacron was not running.

So, I started thinking it was not getting called.

[...]

> "/etc/init.d/anacron start".  Why invoke-rc.d?  Because the local
> admin may have set up a policy-rc.d configuration that disables it.

I was just wondering why `invoke-rc.d', now I get that too, thanks.

[...]

>> I've never taken any actions on anacron and don't remember even
>> installing it purposely... so am I supposed to put it into a run
>> level?

> I can't believe I didn't recommend to you at some previous time that
> you should probably just remove anacron.  Do you need it?  If not then
> remove it.  (I would 'purge' it and remove the config files too.)

You did, on the very first response to slightly different subject but
still involving `cron' and `anacron', might have been on the emacs
list though.

And about needing anacron. Yes, I guess I'm just the type of user that
anacron was designed for. My machine is shut off nearly every day, and
sometimes isn't started for a day or two.  When it is, there is no
rigid pattern time wise.

Seems like, if not anacron then I'd need to be a lot more trick and
careful with cron scheduling or do some scripting or the like.

[...]

>> Or, does it get called somewhere else in the cron setup?
>
> Yes!  You have guessed it.
>
> Also there is apm support.  When power is plugged in and unplugged
> then anacron is run or stopped.

Interesting... and good to know.  It doesn't effect me at the moment
but at some point I will probably have debian running on a laptop.

Oh, and I hope you do not tire of answering my often poorly worded
queries.