Re: COBOL [was: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)]

Curt wrote:
On 2013-10-21, berenger.morel@neutralite.org <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
COBOL is still used, but tend to disappear, you can like it or not. I

  COBOL programs are in use globally in governmental and military agencies and in
  commercial enterprises, and are running on operating systems such as IBM's z/OS
  and z/VSE, the POSIX families (Unix/Linux etc.), and Microsoft's Windows as
  well as ICL's VME operating system and Unisys' OS 2200. In 1997, the Gartner
  Group reported that 80% of the world's business ran on COBOL with over 200
  billion lines of code in existence and with an estimated 5 billion lines of new
  code annually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobol#Legacy

Interesting. I really wonder what the numbers are today, and how precepitously they dropped from 1997-2000. As I recall, the "year 2000 bug" was used as an excuse to re-write a lot of legacy code. There was also a spike in demand for COBOL programmers just before 2000 - so at least some of that re-writing probably involved tweaks to legacy code. But a lot of stuff was completely replaced.