Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

Le 18.10.2013 17:50, Jerry Stuckle a écrit :
And, again, just a guess, but I'm guessing the huge percentage of
programmers these days are writing .NET code on vanilla Windows machines (not that I like it, but it does seem to be a fact of life). A lot of people also seem to be writing stored SQL procedures to run on MS SQL.

Bad guess.  .NET is way down the list of popularity (much to
Microsoft's chagrin).  COBOL is still number 1; C/C++ still way
surpass .NET.  And MSSQL is well behind MySQL in the number of
installations (I think Oracle is still #1 with DB2 #2).

I wonder where did you had those numbers?
Usually, in various studies, COBOL is not even in the 5 firsts. I do not say that those studies are pertinent, they are obviously not, since their methods always shows problems. But, it does not means that they are completely wrong, and I mostly use them as very vague indicators. So, I would like were you had your indicators, I may find that interesting for various reasons.

Except that, .NET is not a language, it is a framework, that can be used with C or C++ without any problem.

I expect that there are NOT a lot of people writing production code to
run on Debian, expect for use on internal servers.  When it comes to
writing Unix code for Government or Corporate environments, or for
products that run on Unix, the target is usually either Solaris, AIX
(maybe), and Red Hat.

I would say not necessarily writing for Debian, but writing for Linux
in general is pretty popular, and getting more so.

I think smartphones gave a ray of light.