Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On 10/18/2013 7:33 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Le 18.10.2013 17:50, Jerry Stuckle a écrit :
And, again, just a guess, but I'm guessing the huge percentage of
programmers these days are writing .NET code on vanilla Windows
machines
(not that I like it, but it does seem to be a fact of life). A lot of
people also seem to be writing stored SQL procedures to run on MS SQL.

Bad guess.  .NET is way down the list of popularity (much to
Microsoft's chagrin).  COBOL is still number 1; C/C++ still way
surpass .NET.  And MSSQL is well behind MySQL in the number of
installations (I think Oracle is still #1 with DB2 #2).

I wonder where did you had those numbers?
Usually, in various studies, COBOL is not even in the 5 firsts. I do
not say that those studies are pertinent, they are obviously not,
since their methods always shows problems. But, it does not means that
they are completely wrong, and I mostly use them as very vague
indicators.
So, I would like were you had your indicators, I may find that
interesting for various reasons.

Yeah.  I kind of quesiton those numbers as well.

As I said - Parks Associates - a well known and respected research firm.

The sources I tend to check:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
http://langpop.com/
both have C and Java shooting it out for top spot

http://trendyskills.com/ (analysis of job postings)
has JavaScript, Java, and C# battling it out

COBOL is in the noise.

Do you really think PC job boards are a good indication of what languages are most used? Pr a company who claims to "track software quality" that no one has ever heard of? How about a site that's for sale? I don't think so. I think research by a respected company of companies around the world is a much better indication.

Jerry