Re: Installing Debian 7

Please don't top-post.

Barry White:

>  Due to other problems I had to scrub the Deb 7 installation.
> It wiped out XP windows in the first partition and I had several
> errors occur during install. I finally managed to get to completion
> but grub did not know about windows.

Please try to separate distinct issues you are experiencing. It is hard
to help you if you reinstall without warning and start talking about new
problems.

Anyway, enough instructions. Concerning the missing boot menu entry you
need to ensure that os-prober is installed. It should find your Windows
installation automatically and add a boot menu entry.

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G > Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Ok, so it's Intel graphics. Most of these should be supported out of the
box with (less than stellar) 3d acceleration. Do you (or actually: did
you) have xserver-xorg-video-intel installed?

Google reveals quite a few hints for "linux support 82865G". As a first
step, you should take a look (and/or post) the content of
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. It should contain information on which device
driver is used.

J.
--
The news at ten makes me peevish but animal hospital makes me cry.
[Agree]   [Disagree]