Re: How to format the command output like MySQL output

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 08:54:25PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Check out perl formats.
>
> Great suggestion, it's a shame the user has (since) ruled out Perl.
> Hardly anyone seems to discuss perl formats anymore ☺

I think most people prefer printf formatting vs formats. I think
you'll even find some in the perl community that think formats ended
up being a bad idea (something stuck in a real long time ago - ~20
years ago now probably - that can't be removed). Ask on irc if you're
interrested.

printf is pretty portable and I've only seen perl formats in code once
or twice and never used them. FWIW.