Re: Debian Wheezy - HP Pavilion dm1

> On Sun, 2013-10-20 at 09:21 +0000, Curt wrote:
> > On 2013-10-19, Sureyya Sahin <sahinsureyya@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > >>
> > > OK, if it is the HDD that is causing the sound, why does it seem like it
> > > is randomly happening? I really can't see a specific reason which would
> > > trigger these clicks and sounds.
> >
> > Interesting discussion here, with possible solutions/workarounds:
> >
> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_hard_drive_clicking
>
> It's ridiculous to tweak HDD settings, when the software does cause
> issues. Btw. there not only is the click-click-click issue, but also a
> know very loud single click issue and other issues are silent such as
> the spin down and up issue caused by the crappy GVFS software.
>
> I would take a look what services are started and stopped by init and
> remove crappy software. You e.g. won't find GVFS on my Linux install.
> However GVFS shouldn't cause the issue the OP experience, so the OP
> needs to do some research on the system.

PS: The OP mentioned that it doesn't happen with Suse. So what is
different? What services are started and stopped by the OP's Suse and
what are started and stopped by the OP's Debian?

Since the OP mentioned that Arch isn't stable on his machine, I suspect
that there might be some very exotic hardware involved or that the OP
misconfigured something and for some reasons Debian and Arch are more
sensible regarding to this misonfiguration, than Suse is.

Since the OP installed Arch, the OP is aware what is needed and what not
for the system. I recommend to remove all the services of the OP's
Debian install, the OP doesn't need, resp. to start and stop the same
services the OP's Suse does start and stop.