Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > However all of the docs I see just now suggest using a bridge.
>
> There are docs recommending to take the burden of kernel software
> briding to add an alias IP?!

But you were asking about VLANS not IP aliases!

Not wanting to distract from the discussion between you and Tom I am
going to refrain from saying more about that here and now.

> > Configuring multiple IP addresses on interfaces like that is new in
> > recent versions of ifupdown.
>
> Wow, this is surprising! I considered it an old basic classic
> standard feature.

Not like that.  Not using the same iface sections repeated again.
That is a new feature.  Previously that required either aliases or
explicit up/down commands.

Oldstable Squeeze 6 had ifupdown 0.6.10.  Stable Wheezy 7 has 0.7.8.
Testing Jessie and Ustable Sid currently have 0.7.44.

The changelog says:

ifupdown (0.7~alpha4) experimental; urgency=low
  * Allow multiple interface definitions to ease work with multiple IP per
    interface.

So it looks like that feature went into Wheezy 7 and is available
since.  I tested this on Wheezy 7 and it works for me there.

> > Whether it works or not depends upon the version of the program.
>
> Amazing.

Why?  Isn't that the way of things?  Time moves forward and creeping
features do too.  Seems very typical and normal to me. :-)

Bob