Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

Hi!

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> However all of the docs I see just now suggest using a bridge.

There are docs recommending to take the burden of kernel software
briding to add an alias IP?!

> Configuring multiple IP addresses on interfaces like that is new in
> recent versions of ifupdown.

Wow, this is surprising! I considered it an old basic classic standard feature.

> Whether it works or not depends upon the version of the program.

Amazing.

> Previously it was necessary to use different tagged interfaces
> or to use up/down commands to add additional ip addresses.

Ahh, you mean I could try the old "eth0:0" approach? But I guess it
won't be compatible with VLANs.

>> First I thought "ifup" would be a shell script, but apparently
>> ifupdown uses source code generation to generate Perl code from some
>> "noweb" code and uses the generated Perl code to generate C code which
>> then is compiled using a generated Makefile -- all this is not easy to
>> read / understand, so I decided to write a mail here hoping someone
>> can enlighten me :)
>
> It depends upon the version of ifupdown.  Previously it used a
> literate programming technique with TeX embedded documentation and C
> code using "notangle" and .nw files.

yeah, I see you also took a look :)

>   apt-cache show noweb

Wikipedia tells:
noweb is a literate programming tool, created in 1989–1999 by Norman Ramsey.

But it seems to be maintained.

> Recent versions have been converted to plain C.  The changelog for
> version 0.7.44 says:
>     * Convert from noweb to plain C

Good to know :) But I think it is not yet released in stable.

Regards,
Steffen