Re: XFCE is slow on Acer One netbook - suggestions?

Am 17.10.2013 um 16:45 schrieb Joe <joe@jretrading.com>:

> There is mate, allegedly a fork of Gnome2, I haven't tried it. I do use
> LXDE on my sid desktop and also on my Aspire One netbook. I have the
> one with the slightly smaller case and SSD, which has an unbelievably
> slow write speed. I usually use it with an external USB hard drive,
> which has sid/LXDE. It seems quick enough for my purposes, but they may
> be different from yours.

Mine are development centered (Perl programming) plus associated tasks - editing, testing, web-browsing, PDF-reading.

> My desktop does not show a highlighted tab in gedit, which may be
> either because it needs Gnome, or maybe a different window manager.
> Both LXDE and XFCE use Openbox, but of course there are many others. I
> can't remember what Gnome2 used, maybe Metacity. A heavier window
> manager will of course slow things down, but almost certainly not as
> much as Gnome3.

Thanks for the tip. I gave LXDE a try and is feeling a lot faster.

Some features like the taskbar are better than in XFCE. But the power-management seems unstable.

I got the "suspend on lid close" and other behaviour working, but now it's again ignorant.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer