Re: Configuring multiple IP addresses on VLAN interface using ifupdown

Tom H wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Of course I know nothing about vlan configuration so I am likely wrong
> > here.  I just know that visually it doesn't match.  However all of the
> > docs I see just now suggest using a bridge.  Perhaps something like this.
> >
> >   auto eth0
> >   allow-hotplug eth0
> >   iface eth0 inet static
> >           address 10.0.5.15
> >           netmask 255.255.255.0
> >   iface eth0 inet static
> >           address 10.0.5.16
> >           netmask 255.255.255.0
> >   iface eth0.77 inet manual
> >   auto br0.77
> >   iface br0.77 inet manual
> >           bridge_ports eth0.77
> >           bridge_fd 0
> >           bridge_maxwait 0
> >
> > But again, I just did that blind from the online docs.  I am not a
> > vlan expert.  Feel free to tell me I am wrong and do not know
> > anything.  :-)
>
> You're bridging in strange/incorrect way. :(
>
> It's br0.77 that should have an ip address assigned and the physical
> devices should have "inet manual" only.

I don't doubt you.  I suggested that due to the reference here.  In
that it writes that both are possible and lists them as alternatives.

  https://wiki.debian.org/LXC/VlanNetworking

Perhaps someone could update that documentation with the lastest known
best practices?

Bob