Re: mediatomb install fails on wheezy

Pierre Frenkiel:
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>
>> I cannot reproduce the above error message:
>> . . .
>>| Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]
>> . . .
>> I cannot figure out what's different on your system either. Apt-listbugs
>> should never abort package installation without asking you. Strange.
>
> I found where the difference comes from, but I'm unable to explain it:
> I have a shortcut for ap-get install which is:
>    apt-get --install-suggests install "$@" 2>&1  | tee -a $LOG

That actually makes (a little) sense. Apparently, apt-listbugs notices
that its stdout is not a terminal and thinks that a prompt in that
situation doesn't make much sense. It is debatable whether that
conclusion is valid and whether aborting in such a case is such a good
idea. I tend to disagree with this design decision, but at least the
behaviour appears to be chosen deliberately.

>> Still no. If there is a bug (and not only a misconfiguration on your
>> machine) then mediatomb has nothing to do with it. The bug report
>> against mediatomb does not relate to wheezy at all.
>
> This seems wrong. Please look at the bug report #677959, at:
>     lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-June/027840.html
>
> It says:
>     The current version of mediatomb (in wheezy) fails to build from source
>     with the current version of libavformat.

Ah, now I see that you are right. I thought the bug report was from a
time when wheezy was already stable and jessie contained the same
version of mediatomb but a different version of libavformat. But the bug
report is older than wheezy. I don't understand why it is only tagged
with jessie and sid but not wheezy, but well.

J.
--
As a child I pulled the legs from a spider.
[Agree]   [Disagree]