Re: mediatomb install fails on wheezy

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013, Jochen Spieker wrote:

I cannot reproduce the above error message:
. . .
| Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]
. . .
I cannot figure out what's different on your system either. Apt-listbugs
should never abort package installation without asking you. Strange.

I found where the difference comes from, but I'm unable to explain it:
I have a shortcut for ap-get install which is:
   apt-get --install-suggests install "$@" 2>&1  | tee -a $LOG
With that, I get the 1st prompt (Do you want to continue? [Y/n]), but
the install fails without the 2nd prompt.
If I just run:
   apt-get --install-suggests install "$@"
I then get the same behaviour as you, i.e. I actually get the prompt:

    Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]

I still don't understand why the 1st prompt works with tee, and not the 2nd one...

(As I didn't believe my eyes, as I tried several times both commands...)

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/other/stable.html

  thank you for this useful link.
  how come mediatomb is not listed here. It should be in category:
    "Number that have a fix prepared and waiting to upload:"

Still no. If there is a bug (and not only a misconfiguration on your
machine) then mediatomb has nothing to do with it. The bug report
against mediatomb does not relate to wheezy at all.

This seems wrong. Please look at the bug report #677959, at:
    lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2012-June/027840.html

It says:
    The current version of mediatomb (in wheezy) fails to build from source
    with the current version of libavformat.

Anyway, since  I shifted to a mixture of Wheezy and Jessie, the problem is solved for me.

Thanks for your cooperation.

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel