Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

Le 13.10.2013 14:41, Joel Rees a écrit :
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
Le 11.10.2013 23:06, Brian a écrit :

"are you root?"

It does only means you own the system. Not that you can claim to be a
sysadmin. I own my car. I am not a mechanic, but I anyway have the
*authorizations* to tinker it. It's what root, or to be more precise, uid=0
means in linux OSes.

In some countries, owning a car does not authorize you to tinker with it.

I did not known that. Not even changing a wheel or repairing motor, direction? Sounds strange to me. Here we have rights to tinker with our stuff, but to be authorized to use it on public space you need the vehicle to fit some conditions. Changing a motor to have a more powerful one or adding passenger places which were not originally thought are good examples. If you do some of those "tinkering", then you have to make a check (not yourself, of course, but by an organization. I do not know a lot more about that.)

Many who are the defacto admin for their system(s) do not claim to be
a sysadmin. But they are still the only admin the system has.

I have no idea about how it works in other countries, but in France, when the enterprise is big enough, sysadmins does not take care of single systems. That job is left to people with less qualifications.

Sysadmin has multiple meanings, and possession of a piece of paper is,
frankly, one of the less meaningful meanings I can think of.

Could not agree more. Sadly French guys seems to love those damned pieces of paper. It is quite problematic for self-learners (as I). Sometimes I think that if I had better english skills I could try to work in other countries.

(I still
plan to take the LPIC level 2 when I have some extra money.)

But being able to install and update a debian box is part of what gets
tested in the LPIC exams.

If you can get a debian box up and a Fedora
box up, if you can read a shell script and have some idea what's going
on, if you can set apache up, if you can fiddle with your X server,
that's most of a passing grade on the LPIC level 1, and then you can
be a Jr. Sysadmin on paper.

You are right. But only (so, not being able to understand scripts) being able to install your debian box, and then to add it some softwares does not mean you could be a sysadmin.

(Well, there are a few more things you want to get down, too.
Permissions basics, basics of TCP-IP, SSH and such, but you generally
pick those up while you're learning how to install the system and
packages.)

I wonder if I could pass that test. 1st level does not seems so hard when I read you. How many does it costs?