Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 6:21 AM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> Le 11.10.2013 23:06, Brian a écrit :
>>
>> "are you root?"
>

> It does only means you own the system. Not that you can claim to be a
> sysadmin. I own my car. I am not a mechanic, but I anyway have the
> *authorizations* to tinker it. It's what root, or to be more precise, uid=0
> means in linux OSes.

In some countries, owning a car does not authorize you to tinker with it.

Many who are the defacto admin for their system(s) do not claim to be
a sysadmin. But they are still the only admin the system has.

Sysadmin has multiple meanings, and possession of a piece of paper is,
frankly, one of the less meaningful meanings I can think of. (I still
plan to take the LPIC level 2 when I have some extra money.)

But being able to install and update a debian box is part of what gets
tested in the LPIC exams. If you can get a debian box up and a Fedora
box up, if you can read a shell script and have some idea what's going
on, if you can set apache up, if you can fiddle with your X server,
that's most of a passing grade on the LPIC level 1, and then you can
be a Jr. Sysadmin on paper.

(Well, there are a few more things you want to get down, too.
Permissions basics, basics of TCP-IP, SSH and such, but you generally
pick those up while you're learning how to install the system and
packages.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.