Re: pcmanfm no window/gui, one user only

Le 13.10.2013 13:44, Tazman Deville a écrit :
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 08:11:10PM +0200, Tony Baldwin wrote:
Friends,

For some reason, when I try to use pcmanfm as my user, I can not.
I can start it as other users on the system, or with gksu or sudo,
but not for my user.

So it must be a configuration problem, or other users would have the same problem. You could try a diff between your configuration and another user ( do not only compare pcmanfm's files, it could be related to other stuff ).

Or a longer but reliable technique:
1) move all your configuration files into another directory, so that the system won't be able to find them.
2) Run pcmanfm.
3) if it works, move 1 configuration file from the temp directory you made to it's original place. If it does not, move it to another directory (say, conf_problem, for example).
4) go to 2 until you still have files into the temporary directory.
5) Take a look at all files in conf_problem, and read them to understand what could be problematic. If you do not understand, then integrate their content bloc per bloc, as you did for files.

This is the desperate solution I use, when everything failed. It's long and boring, but always worked for me. Using diff (or meld, which is probably smarter since it is an interactive application, not a simple program. For comparing a lot of data, diff is not the right tool for me. Simply my opinion.) can give you a faster understanding

Or, really, what happens is, it seems to start (can find processes and kill them),
but no window appears. It seems to hang.

I tried to use gdb, but get no debug information.
What happens there is the whole thing (gdb and pcmanfm) hangs,
doing nothing, until I kill pcmanfm again, and gdb tells me nothing.

You need pcmanfm-dbg to have symbols, it might help. However, I have never tried it myself. Also, you will need to put a breakpoint before running, or will need to manually interrupt application's workflow ( I have no idea about how to do that, but I know it is possible since some frontends seems to be able to do that) But I honestly doubt that you will find anything interesting this way. Maybe if you compile it yourself, at least you could have the source code when debugging, which will give you more precise hints about where it have a problem.

When I run it from terminal, likewise, I find no errors, nothing.
Just hangs (even if I run the command with pcmanfm &, it just hangs the
terminal).

Sadly, it does not seem to have a verbose mode.

Yes, also, of course, I have killalled any such processes several times
before trying to start it again.

Several times is not useful, if it does not work at start, it won't work until the problem is here. At least for such "simple" programs. I mean by simple, that it does not have to use lot of external info, only filesystem and user's action, when it runs. Speaking about filesystem, do you have a different partition than other users? Do you use cryptography? Or other file-related voodoo magic? That would not be very usual, but who knows...

I've also tried with other WMs (I use openbox as a standalone, but have also now tried with LXDE and with wmii, and still no joy. Have no other
WMs on the system at this time).
This is on wheezy.

Again, if it works with a WM for other users, it should work with the same for you. So the problem is obviously not the WM.

I've even tried replacing my conf files in
~/.config/pcmanfm/{default,LXDE}/pcmanfm.conf
with the files from another user (and chowning them to me, of course),
to determine if there were something amiss in my config files,
but, alas, this too proved unproductive.
I don't know what else to do.

It may be a problem made by other configuration files. Like a gtk theme. No problem with other application? It could give you some hints.