Re: sysadmin qualifications (Re: apt-get vs. aptitude)

Joe wrote:
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:15:16 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

Joe writes:
I think the vast majority of computers are used with an Internet
connection, which these days means a router rather than a modem.
1) A dialup connection to the Internet is still an Internet
connection.
Indeed, but it tends not to involve local networking. And before your
done it. I've only networked the odd mobile dongle. I do know of a
couple of people who use dial-up, but they are very much the exception
rather than the rule.

Well.... just as a data point, connecting via a mobile phone quite often "behaves" like dial-up (at least it does if you use a bluetooth connection), and as soon as you have a laptop that you use in multiple locations, you are doing some level of systems and network admin.

What's the point here of the pedantry? The current sub-topic is about automatic local network configuration, which anyone with a single computer on a PPP Internet connection doesn't need. Modems by definition use PPP links, and most people don't use their PCs or laptops as routers. And yes, before you reply, I know they can. I used to know without looking it up where the Windows registry key for TCP/IP forwarding was.

Well, just to add to the pedantry: Modems do NOT use PPP "by definition." PPP is a specific link-level protocol, which, if used, is usually running on one's computer, not on the modem.

Now.. as to the larger question at hand:

Personally, I run, support, and configure:
- my own computers (laptop, development "sandbox" under my desk, android smartphone, android tablet, backup storage device, printer) - my family's computers (multiple laptops and handhelds, storage devices, network storage service, more printers, household network) - a work-provided laptop (dual-administered by the company's IT and network admins - large microsoft environment) - a department sharepoint server (shared admin role with several other people - running on a virtual machine, someone else administers the cluster) - 4-server high-availablility cluster sitting in commercial data center (leftover from a hosting business I used to have, currently a combination of a development sandbox and a product system for a bunch of email users, lists, and web servers - mostly for local non-profits)

Do I consider myself a sysadmin (and/or a netadmin)?  Well:
- I used to sell hosting services for a living, and did most of the systems administration involved in doing so - I certainly administer a significant number of machines and network devices/services, and, - for some of them, I'm on call 24x7 (my phone rings if the cluster goes down), but...
- none of this is paid for, and other than the cluster, it's all informal
- I don't have a particularly in-depth familiarity with things like Nagios, serious shell scripting, any of the new devops tools, storage area networks - hence, I probably could not go out and get a full-time job as a professional systems or network administrator

Bottom Line:
- I certainly feel comfortable saying that I DO a lot of systems and network administration, - I would feel on very shakey grounds calling myself a (professional) system or network administrator (it's not my day job) - I wouldn't put it on my resume anywhere other than as a couple of bullet points re. "skills" - certainly not as a title I could lay claim to

Miles Fidelman