Re: Building computer

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 23:57 -0300, Beco wrote:
> How long a "considered fast" kernel compilation would last? I'd like
> to have a clue. And in what kind of computer (processor / RAM /
> anything else relevant)?

Building older and current kernels with configurations that are close to
Debian, Ubuntu or Arch Linux defaults takes around 90 minutes (in the
past perhaps a little bit less and today perhaps around 120 minutes, I
need to check this) on my 2.1GHz dual-core Athlon 64-bit, 4GiB RAM,
concurrency level 2, resp. 2 jobs, but there quasi is no difference, if
I don't use concurrency level 2, resp. 2 jobs. Older computers 900MHz
single-core Athlon 32-bit, 2GiB and less, can't be used when compiling a
kernel. I could use my computer while building the kernel, but I prefer
to not use it, because it can cause issues. YMMV!