Re: Building computer

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 00:05 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> What desktop applications are you using that require 8GB, let alone
> 16GB, of RAM?  I'd think 4 would be plenty.  If you wish to over buy
> DRAM, that's a personal choice.

I agree, even for heavy audio production I never needed the 4 GiB of RAM
I've got, but some audio experts say 8 GiB should be better than 4 GiB.

> Overkill again.  A 400W PSU

My tower PC is filled to capacity, e.g. 3 sound cards and there are no
issues with a 420 W PSU. Take care that it has got a large fan, so that
it will inaudible.

> Good choice.  I'm using 4 of the Hyper 101s, two of them in an old dual
> socket server.  Good design, quality, great cooling, and quiet.

Here never a "default" CPU cooler was audible or didn't cool the CPU
enough, those always were silent and cooled the CPUs as needed. Again,
for heavy audio work, CPU frequency scaling set to performance.

> By the time you *need* to upgrade, you'll want newer faster DRAM

That btw. will be less expensive than today's RAM and you might need
more RAM then.

I don't know what graphics is needed for gaming. However, I'm using a
graphics without a fan, audible are only the HDDS, because I've got a
cheap case. Spending some money for a good case seems to be a good idea.

Regards,
Ralf