Re: Building computer

On 09/24/13 13:03, Catherine Gramze wrote:
I intend to build a computer for the specific purpose of running Debian.

So, I am looking for recommendations on hardware, particularly motherboards, known to play nicely with Debian and boot consistently.

I've had the best results with Intel desktop motherboards with integrated Intel graphics, Intel sound, and Intel Ethernet. As I understand it, Intel pays employees to develop and release source code model device drivers for their products, licensed such that FOSS projects can use them. I've never had a Intel motherboard fail, and the only processor failures I've seen (on client machines) were due to loose heat sinks (machines being dropped?).

Be sure to get an SSD for your system drive.

HTH,

David