Re: Can not format USB drive

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 07:48:27AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ hdparm --help
> >  -r   Get/set device readonly flag (DANGEROUS to set)
>
> I suspect that the USB stick can't be "repaired" anymore.

I was hoping not to get this diagnose :( But thank you anyway.
You might be right.

> Next time you experience an issue, do some research yourself before you
> ask on a mailing list. If you get output that something is write
> protected, than believe this hint and don't "guess".

Yet I do belive that some virus is involved. For me when something
create an exetable file and present it to user as a folder (with the
same name and icon so user can not tell the difference) and hiding
original folder it is a sing that some virus is involved.

When I asked google with query ["_111_.txt" virus] (note quotes) I got 6
links 5 of which seems to nailed it down. Only if I can understand the
languages that pages are written in.

What puzzled me most is that USB stick somehow magicaly turned to be
'read only' and that even root could not format or repatitioned it. That
is the reason why I asked question on this mailing list. You also gave
me the info that I was not aware of that hdparm can change readonly
status. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately when I tried today to use that stick I was not able to
mount it anymore and fdisk said this (even before I used hdparm):

# fdisk /dev/sda
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x29742198.
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable.

Therefore I am starting to belive that stick can be broken after all :)
Nevertheless I will wait for some time expecting that somebody had
experienced something similar and can give me some other advice than to
throw away that stick.

Martin
Bye