Re: Can not format USB drive

PS:

> As root run
>
> hdparm -r0 /dev/sd?
>
> where ? is for a, b, c ... z, IOW the number of your USB stick.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^ :D

> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ hdparm --help
>  -r   Get/set device readonly flag (DANGEROUS to set)

I suspect that the USB stick can't be "repaired" anymore.
FWIW it's normal that this happens to USB sticks. I experienced a broken
controller for a brand new stick, without making something wrong, while
the replacement for the stick, same model, from the same vendor, is very
old now. Don't trust rumours that just some old sticks from some vendors
are risky. USB sticks in general aren't safe storage devices.

Next time you experience an issue, do some research yourself before you
ask on a mailing list. If you get output that something is write
protected, than believe this hint and don't "guess".

Using a search engine with the keywords "USB stick virus" will lead to
nothing, when there is the clear information "read only" and "write
protected". However, it's likely that the stick is broken and still
possible that it is a virus.