Re: Don't want a desktop environment

Fred wrote at 2013-09-21 14:41 -0500:
> I manage to install i3 by doing
> aptitude install i3
> but I understand I need to do more than that. Seems like I need some
> display manager also?
> I did try to do
> aptitude install slim
> which installs, but it's not like it magically autostarts when I boot the
> system.
> What I need is to config slim to autostart, which will run i3 upon login?
> Or do I need to set up the X server to autostart?

If you want to be automatically logged in without authentication, try
the nodm package.  Otherwise, I do not know much about slim; can you
try running `dpkg-reconfigure slim` as root?

You probably want to create a file `~/.xsession` (that is, `.xsession`
in your $HOME) containing `exec i3wm`.  If you add other startup
commands later, they should go *before* this line.