Re: What is location for building/ installing system-wide software?

On 09/19/13 19:32, Bob Proulx wrote:
Instead of the above add yourself to the 'staff' group.  (While there
you might as well add yourself to the 'adm' group too.  Then you can
view the /var/log/* files as yourself too.  Unrelated to the current
question but useful.)

   # adduser youruserid staff
   # adduser youruserid adm

Then log out and log back in again so that the new groups will be part
of your process.

   $ id | grep --color staff

Since all of the directories in /usr/local are writable by group
'staff' you now have the capability to write to files there without
being root.

That's useful.  :-)

I don't normally build there.  I normally build in my $HOME/src
directory.  But upon building it means I can install in the system
local /usr/local directory as myself *without root*.  That adds a good
safety net against makefile mistakes.

   $ tar xzvf project-1.0.1.tar.gz
   $ cd project-1.0.1
   $ make
   $ make check
   $ make install

That will install in /usr/local/bin and associated places.  No need
for root.  Just use group staff.

Much better.  :-)

Have you looked at what is already available in Debian?

   $ apt-cache search freeciv
   freeciv-client-extras - Civilization turn based strategy game (miscellaneous extras)
   freeciv-client-gtk - Civilization turn based strategy game (GTK+ client)
   freeciv-client-sdl - Civilization turn based strategy game (SDL client)
   freeciv-client-xaw3d - Civilization turn based strategy game (Xaw3D client)
   freeciv-data - Civilization turn based strategy game (game data)
   freeciv-server - Civilization turn based strategy game (server files)
   freeciv-sound-standard - Civilization turn based strategy game (standard sound pack)

In the past, I found that the Debian packaged FreeCiv was buggy. Since then, I've downloaded and built from source.

   $ apt-cache search openjdk | grep ^openjdk-7
   openjdk-7-dbg - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (debugging symbols)
   openjdk-7-demo - Java runtime based on OpenJDK (demos and examples)
   openjdk-7-doc - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) documentation
   openjdk-7-jdk - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK)
   openjdk-7-jre-zero - Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Zero/Shark
   openjdk-7-source - OpenJDK Development Kit (JDK) source files
   openjdk-7-jre - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
   openjdk-7-jre-headless - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
   openjdk-7-jre-lib - OpenJDK Java runtime (architecture independent libraries)

I want the current stable release of JDK, which means downloading and building from source.

David