Re: What is location for building/ installing system-wide software?

On 09/18/13 14:57, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> My guess would be /usr/local. Either there, or in /opt, though I
> prefer /usr/local for building from source/installing.

On 09/19/13 02:25, recoverym4n@gmail.com wrote:
Please invoke 'man hier' and read it.
Accoring to the man page,
/usr/local This is where programs which are local to the site typically go.

Thanks for the replies.  :-)

I've considered both /opt and /usr/local.

TLDP has some interesting information on both -- /opt looks like the classical location and /usr/local looks like the currently popular location:

    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/opt.html

    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/usr.html

Debian seems to favor /usr/local:

-   man (7) hier on both Squeeze and Wheezy makes small mention of /opt
    and has twelve entries for /usr/local and /usr/local/*.

-   /opt exists, but is empty on both Squeeze and Wheezy.

-   /usr/local/lib contains Perl modules I've installed from CPAN.

-   /usr/local/share contains Perl modules I've built from source via
    ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

-   /usr/local/bin contains Perl programs I've installed from CPAN or
    built from source.

-   /usr/local/man contains man pages for the above Perl modules and
    programs.

-   /usr/local/go contains the Go programming language binary
    distribution.

So, the canonical Debian location for installing third-party software would seem to be either:

    /usr/local/<project>

Or:

    /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/doc, /usr/local/etc, /usr/local/games,
    /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include, /usr/local/info,
    /usr/local/man, /usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/share

The canonical Debian location for building software from source code would seem to be:

    /usr/local/src/<project>

But, this implies working as root. I prefer building in my home directory as a normal user, and finishing with "sudo make install", "sudo vi /etc/<projectrc>", etc..

Does anybody have any compelling arguments for building as root under /usr/local/src?

David