Re: What is location for building/ installing system-wide software?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:16:04AM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> But, this implies working as root.  I prefer building in my home
> directory as a normal user, and finishing with "sudo make install",
> "sudo vi /etc/<projectrc>", etc..
>

> Does anybody have any compelling arguments for building as root
> under /usr/local/src?

Since I need to become root in order to install, I just go ahead and
do the whole thing from start to finish as root in
/usr/local/src/project. Not much of an argument, but that's my
rationale anyway. There are probably good arguments against doing it
this way. I've so far built from source on only my own systems, and
ultimately we can do with our own systems whatever we want.

If you want to build under /usr/local/src/project as a normal user,
you should be able to as root:

mkdir /usr/local/src/project
chown user.user /usr/local/src/project

and do the rest of the build as user.