Re: Display drivers for ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) on Wheezy

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Adrian Smith wrote:
> Shortly after I come across the ATIProprietary [2] page. It describes
> how to install ATI's proprietary display driver.
>
> So to my question; what's the difference between the proprietary,
> binary-only firmware described in AtiHowto [1] and the AMD proprietary
> display driver described in ATIProprietary [2]. Which one should I
> use? Is it just a matter of personal preference? Does one offer better
> performance over the other?

The ATI proprietary driver is somewhat faster and supports a lot more
features, but it is more unstable (note: last time I tried, that means it
would seldon crash or do something seriously broken, while the open ones
basically never have issues on a R710).

Unless you really need it (e.g. you play very heavy 3d games or you need to
use the GPU as a compute node), stick to the open drivers.

  Henrique Holschuh